Newcastle upon Tyne
A weekly payment of £750 while you have a young person in placement
A brand new fostering service for Newcastle City Council’s looked after children is seeking foster carers to be part of this new initiative.
The Build a Future fostering service is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference to a young person’s life. It is a flexible response to supporting young people who are currently living in a residential children’s setting, or who are complex individuals on the edge of requiring residential services. It is an opportunity to be part of shaping a new service and being creative in the way we meet children’s needs.
Residential care can often mean that a young person is living away from the people, places and connections that are important to them. This can create complex, demanding and unique challenges.
Build a Future is looking for individuals with experience of working with young people. Passion, dedication and resilience are essential.
What is the Build a Future fostering service?
Build a Future is a therapeutic fostering service for young people who have experienced significant difficulties in their childhood so far. Some may have faced challenges which result in them displaying difficult and risky behaviour.
The service is linked to Newcastle City Council’s Foster a Future fostering service but stands alone with a staff group of team manager, social worker, resource workers and therapist (life coach) on call for foster carers 24/7.
We want the best outcomes for our children and they need the best full time care and nurture available to help them achieve this. The team works with Newcastle City Council’s award winning Virtual School service, the police, children’s social workers, Independent Reviewing Officers and people important to the child. One child at a time will be placed with foster carers to enable the support required to be delivered.
What are the rewards for a Build a Future foster carer?
• The opportunity to be part of an exciting new initiative
• The support and guidance from the dedicated Build a Future staff team of team manager, social worker, resource workers and therapist/life coach
• Guidance and insight from a qualified therapist who will work with the team around the young person- there is no waiting list
• 24/7 advice and support from the Build a Future Team who know the young person and you
• Planned respite breaks
• A minimum of monthly formal supervision, with additional support when required
• Your own Build a Future Handbook
• Membership of Foster Talk, the non-profit organisation providing professional support services to foster carers across the UK
• High quality training - giving you the tools to care for the young person safely and appropriately
• Monthly support groups and weekly information emails
• A weekly payment of £750 while you have a young person in placement
Who can be a Build a Future Foster Carer?
• People with experience of working with young people who display risky and difficult behaviour
• People who are flexible, resilient and who have a strong sense of humour
• People with no young people living in their home - except in exceptional circumstances
• People who are available at all times to meet the needs of the young person
• People who recognise the importance of learning and development
• People who have good open communication skills. Being computer literate is desirable but not essential
• People who are in a relationship or who are single
If you think you have what it takes to become a Build a Future foster carer please visit:
www.newcastle.gov.uk/fosteringadoption or, telephone Build a Future on 0191 277 2430 and speak to Jayne Saul or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please See Advert Text
31 Dec 2018